Thursday, April 7, 2011

Kas-manian Devil

This is a long overdue shout-out to my friend Kas Gardiner. He keeps me on my toes when discussing all things baseball, which is not an easy thing to do. And he does it with an Eastern flair, since he was born and raised in Philadelphia. And I’ll have to cut him a little slack, since he still roots for those Phreakin’ Phillies. Kas and I are brothers, separated at birth. We are almost identical twins as you can see from the picture below, although he’s a little taller.


Anyway, Kas had a brush with fame last summer when he was attending a Cardinals game. He happened to be seated next to a visiting gentleman by the name of Matt Langer, who was on a mission to see 30 stadiums in 39 days. Matt kept an online blog of his stadium visits, including a photo of his fan-of-the-day in each city. Kas of course, was selected as his St. Louis fan-of-the-day! Here is a picture of Kas and Matt and some other fan wannabe. ;-)


Click here to read Matt’s blog about his stadium visits. Check on the Fan Of The Day link on his site to see more info about Kas and the other fan-of-the-day selections.

Congratulations Kas! You’re always the Fan-of-the-Day in our book.

-------------------------------
Speaking of stadium visits, how many have you seen?
I haven’t been as fortunate as our traveler Matt above, but I’ve been lucky enough to visit these 11 major league parks:
1. Busch Stadium I (former Sportsman’s Park)
2. Busch Stadium II. I even got married there! Check that out here.
3. Busch Stadium III. Not as good as Busch II, but it will do.
4. Wrigley Field, Chicago. It’s been a long time since I’ve been there; I’m long overdue for a return trip.
5. Fenway Park, Boston. Once as a teenager; once to see the Cards in 2003.
6. Yankee Stadium, New York. Not the newest one though. I saw Roger Clemens get his 300th victory and his 4000th strikeout in the same game against the Cardinals on a cold rainy day in 2003.
7. Shea Stadium, New York. A couple of times to see the Cards vs. the Mets when I lived out east. (Hello Doogie!!)
8. Camden Yards, Baltimore. Considered the first of the classic retro ballparks. I’m anxious to read my daughter Michelle’s upcoming college paper on classic baseball architecture, which is certain to feature this park.
9. Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh. My family had a quick burst of trips in the early 90s to see the Cardinals play in some of the older NL stadiums the year before they got vacated, including the next 2 . . .
10. County Stadium, Milwaukee. Made a slight detour to visit here one summer on the way to our vacation hideaway in upstate NY
11. Olympic Stadium, Montreal. There were less than 5000 people in the park that day to watch the Cardinals play the Expos.

I’ve been IN these stadiums, although there were no games going on at the time . . .
- Petco Park, San Diego. I was in town for an Anheuser-Busch convention, and we got to attend a party in the attached warehouse.
- Arlington Stadium, Arlington. Ok, I wasn’t there, my son Matthew was; I’m just living vicariously through him on this one.
- Champion Stadium, Lake Buena Vista. This is the spring training home of the Atlanta Braves in the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex outside of Orlando. There was a little league game going on at the time.
- Doubleday Field, Cooperstown. This is the stadium just down the street from the baseball Hall of Fame. Featured in the movie “A League of Their Own”, we popped into this stadium and watched whatever game was going on during a visit to the HOF.

And, LOL, I’ve seen these stadiums from the highway during drive bys . . .
- Old Comiskey Park in Chicago
- New Comiskey Park in Chicago
- Kaufman Stadium in Kansas City
- Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati
- Candlestick Park in San Francisco
- Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles
- Minute Maid Park in Houston
- Municipal Stadium in Cleveland
- Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia
- Fulton County Stadium in Atlanta
- Miller Park in Milwaukee (It was being built while we were in old County Stadium)
- PNC Park in Pittsburgh (It was being built while we were at Three Rivers Stadium)

No comments:

Post a Comment