Saturday, May 8, 2010

Whoa! It's Saturday May 8th

In a very cool coincidence, today is Saturday May 8th, and the Cardinals are playing the Pirates tonight. Eleven years ago today, May 8th was on a Saturday, and the Cardinals were hosting the Pirates at Busch Stadium II. It was a beautiful sunny day, as it is today in St. Louis.

The Cardinals lost to the Pirates that night 7-0, while fielding this quirky little lineup:
Bragg cf (who?)
Renteria ss
McGwire 1b (I remember it was his first day back after coming off the DL)
Lankford lf
Tatis 3b
McGee rf
Marrero c
McEwing 2b
Jiminez p

But hey, the ballgame was secondary, because that night at Busch Stadium was also the site of my wedding to my BFF Monica! We had been together for 10 years already, so when we finally decided to tie the knot, we decided to be be a little un-traditional. We gathered 50 of our closest family and friends into one of the party suites out in right field, brought in a minister (Jane, one of my close friends from college!) and said our vows before the game began.

Hot dogs and nachos were chowed down, beer and champagne were consumed, we had a visit from Fredbird and from Rich Gould of Channel 11 (who interviewed us live during the broadcast!) My oldest and dearest friend Kevin served as my best man, and Monica's sister Susan stood up with her. Kevin wrote a special poem for the occasion and bless his heart, he knocked on a few press box doors before the game and got the framed poem signed by no less than the great Jack Buck, Joe Buck, Mike Shannon, and Ozzie Smith. Wow! What a wedding gift, and it still hangs in my sports memorabilia man-cave today.

But the best wedding gift of all was my BFF herself. Happy Anniversary honey! I love you more than ever.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, JD Drew hit a home run that night I do believe, I took a picture of the time 9:16, that was fun! Congrats to you both! Marrying your soulmate is the best thing ever! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great night Rick. You guys make a great couple and I was honored to be a part of it!

    ReplyDelete