Saturday, April 16, 2011

TWTWTW

That was the week that was. Otherwise known in the sixties as TW3. You’ve got to be really, really old to understand that reference, so that leaves all of you out. Well anyway, it’s Friday night and I have the house to myself. Very strange. The BFF and the son are working, two daughters are married off, and the other daughter and the dog are away at college (I hope that darned dog is finally learning something!) So it’s just me, the Cardinals vs. the Dodgers on television, a glass of my favorite sipping beverage, and my keyboard. So, let’s start rambling . . .

The Cardinals have been out west all week, which means a lot of late night baseball. Which means I’m tired. And when I’m tired (and alone) I get nostalgic, thoughtful, sometimes a little depressed, sometimes a little thankful. So there’s no telling what direction this blog will take. My intent is to talk about the week that just finished up; some about the Cardinals and some about the other details called life.

A week ago, the Cardinals limped out west with a 2-4 record and proceeded to drop the first two games in San Francisco because Tony LaRussa neglected to read my opening day blog entry where I lectured about ABF!!!! And don’t get me started on number 31 and his 9.64 ERA. Lucky for me I didn’t have to be subjected to watching those 2 games on tv. I spent last weekend in the great state of Texas with my wife and son, visiting a couple of college campuses with young Matthew. It was a long exhausting weekend but we had a great time seeing the University of North Texas and Baylor University. Matthew got to see two distinctly different campuses and he even managed to squeeze in 9 holes of golf with his Uncle Danny. It was 90 degrees in Dallas, and we stayed with Monica’s sister Susan, who just so happens to have a swimming pool in the back yard. Good times.



As we were driving home on Sunday afternoon, the Cardinals began to do some driving of their own. They finally scored a serious six runs to finish up the weekend in San Francisco, and they haven’t stopped since. Mobil is probably going broke selling 25 cent drinks, since the birds have put up 6, 8, 8, 15, 9, and 11 in the 6 games this week. In the first 8 games of the season, the Cardinals scored 21 runs. In the 6 games since, they’ve scored a whopping 57! Later this weekend I’ll post more in depth about the Cardinals offense, and what I believe is making them click.

While the Cardinals were beefing up their averages this week, I had an enjoyable week in other ways . . .
- Watched an entertaining Masters golf tournament last weekend.
- Mowed the lawn for the first time and killed a few weeds in the process(I know, I’m sick)
- Had a productive week at work, accomplishing a few projects along the way
- The week at work was also very fun. I have a great group of colleagues and we keep things loose and fun during the week. We also worked some magic and arranged a group outing at Busch Stadium next Thursday for the day game vs. the Nationals. That should be great.
- I hosted a Texas Hold’em Tournament for 21 people last night, and that’s always a blast. I am very fortunate for my circle of friends, and I love opening up the man cave for a huge night of cards, and a few beers. (And I even placed in the top three money spots for a change!)
- Paul got kicked off American Idol. (Hey, little things make me happy)
- Matthew finished first in a golf match this week at school and his JV golf team is still undefeated.
- My daughter Adrienne and my grandson Ode came over and visited during the poker game. He’s the cutest little man ever.
- I spent some TV time tonight with my favorite fictional Kansas farm boy. Only 5 episodes left, ever! Sigh. It’s heading for an epic series finale as the boy finally becomes the legend.
- And I finished off the night with the aforementioned glass of Irish whiskey and another Cardinals victory!

Speaking of tonight’s game, the Cardinals racked up 19 more hits in their 11-2 victory over the Dodgers. That’s 5 straight games with 14 or more hits, which they haven’t done as a ballclub since 1930. Colby Rasmus had 3 doubles; Yadier Molina had 4 hits; David Freese had 3 more hits; Lance Berkman and Albert Pujols each had a 2 homer night. This is an epic offensive surge. It can’t continue at this pace of course, but let’s ride it while we can. They finally reached .500 tonight at 7-7 after their anemic 2-6 start. Now onto new heights.

It was a great week! I have to admit though, when the Cardinals are doing well, my mood is always a bit brighter. It’s hard for me to complain about much when my beloved birds are flying high. Yes, I’m a simple, pathetic human being.

Enjoy the weekend everyone, and let’s have another great week, on and off the field! Hmmm, I have a 4 day work week coming up; I’m going to 3 Cardinal games next weekend; Daughter Jenny will be in town from Nashville; Daughter Michelle will be home from college; we’ll spend time at Daughter Adrienne’s including more fun time with baby Ode. It’s already shaping up as another great week! Hopefully, the Cardinals will do their part to keep it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment