Monday, May 3, 2010

Schooling Colby Rasmus

I love me some Colby Jack Rasmus, but did anyone notice his throws to home plate over the weekend? I made it a point to save the DVR recording and replay it for my 16 year old son Matthew. I coached him in little league for 4 years and I remember stressing to our team how to catch the ball with two hands over your throwing shoulder, while moving forward and crow hopping into the throw, all at the same time. I need to get my hands on Colby and teach him the same thing. I can only hope that Cardinals outfield coach Dave McKay is working with him on this very thing.

On both throws, Colby seemed to be trying to get into the correct position, but both times he was in one step too far and he ended up catching the ball flat footed, instead of moving forward toward the infield while making the catch. And to compound his problem, he caught the ball with one hand over his right, non-throwing shoulder. So while taking his throwing step he had to reach across his body and take the ball out of his glove. That wastes too much time.
Colby is hitting a ton. He’s an outstanding talent, and he’s much more at ease in the Cardinal clubhouse this year. He’ll be fine. But he’s going to need some coaching and some practice to get his throws up to big league caliber.

No comments:

Post a Comment